Thursday, February 2, 2012

Trinidad y Tobago

Maintaining my dad's New Year's Resolution....February's tropical vacation bridged the last few days of January and the first two days of February.  We took the whole family to Trinidad and Tobago (but mostly Trinidad).  Here is a picture of our beach-front hotel...

At night we could look out on the moon-lit waves!  Instead of getting usual souveniers to remember our trip, I, M, was able to choose an exotic pet.  I chose the guppy as it was first discovered in Trinidad in 1866 by Robert John Lechmere Guppy.  They had a museum which described his shipwreck in New Zealand that caused him to live with the Maoris for two years.  Boy! Life sure was boring back then!  My guppies (my brother JC picked the other one) made the trip home and I named them Cookie and Chocolate...
Here's a close-up view of them...
The blue one was named Cookie and the red one was named Chocolate.  I used 'was' because guppies are tropical fish.  My beautiful, but chintzy, momma keeps our house at 68 degrees - far too cold.  With great sadness, our guppies lasted one day and three days.  I would rather you never bring them up in my or my brother's presence unless you want to see hysterical crying.  My sister, SM, was much smarter in her selection of an exotic pet.  She chose a glow-worm that the museum imported from its native New Zealand for the RJLG exhibit.  Here is a video of her playing with it...

Next month:  Belize!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Toys come and go, but the Glo Worm is a toy for all times passed from generation to generation!
Happy Birthday, SM!
Love,
Gram

Heather said...

I had a gloworm toy as a child too! Sorry about the fish...

glad to hear you're keeping up your new years resolutions about the tropical travel! Can't wait for Belize!`

Ava Nielson said...

Wow, world travelers already, so lucky! Better luck next time with the souvenirs!!