Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Runaway!

The weather here in Ohio can make you do crazy things. Recently, after riding by a local Tim Hortons on our BigWheels, my friend A and I saw an unattended ambulance with its engine running. Neither of us needed to prod the other and we soon upgraded to the better ride. Unable to decide who should steer, we decided to share the responsibility.





Where did we steer? Lately, my dad had been saying a lot that "New Mexico is coming". So I decided to convince A to head there with me and beat New Mexico to the punch. Alas, we ran out of gas and, being too short to operate a gas pump, "borrowed" some motor bikes from a road stop in Indiana. Here I am on my "hog". My Grandpa J would be so proud of me!



When the motor bikes ran out of gas, A and I realized we had no money, no food, and no fuel. Bouyed by hearing "Miss Independent" from Kelly Clarkson on the radio, we took jobs. Below, you can see my first job was mowing lawns in Des Moines, Iowa.
This didn't strike my fancy for long and after making enough to fuel up our "hogs" we took off again. We ran into trouble in Wyoming when our bikes broke down. Desperate for cash we decided to take a dishwashing job like Laura did while in college in "Little House on the Prarie". Here I ponder how my youthful indiscretion left me so far from home and my wonderful dad.
Taking advantage of Greyhound's Frequent Rider program, A and I were able to get to to Seattle, Washington for only $13 dollars each. Once there, we took jobs as fish sorters at the docks. The job was stinky and no fun. The smell soon awoke our senses and we used a telephone to call my dad. Enough of this working my way across the USA! Let New Mexico come to us!
My dad upon answering the telephone leaped into his car and came and got the both of us. Back at home, I spend some quality time with my dad looking through the atlas. I excitedly pointed to New Mexico and told him that's where we were headed. He shook his head and said New Mexico had come up so often because that's what we planned on naming my brother. Whoops!

4 comments:

Jaime said...

Love the name! Then we can call him Mexi,and when he is in high school the girls can call him Sexi-Mexi and he can be voted most likely marry a celebrity and name his children after foreign money!

Lauren in GA said...

I just got distracted by Jaime's hilarious comment!!!!

Well, M I agree...it is better to go back to your stellar parents than work your way across the USA.

I love that, "discovering my roots picture". Such a clever way to put it:)

At first, I thought your parents were naming the baby, "Atlas" not, New Mexico.

M, speaking of driving across the USA...you need to ask your Mommy about her road trip right before her mission..when she hit a moose or a water buffalo or something? I can't remember what it was, but I remember it was huge.

Anonymous said...

WE ARE NOT NAMING MY NEPHEW MEXICO...seriously britt...what is your problem?
here are some of my suggestions for his name...tree...emos...stump...rock...PAISLY?!
maya...help your poor unborn brother from gettin a HORRIBLE name.

love aunt s
ps... baby girl...your shirt looks like something that would be in a dark box in the corner or grandma linda's basement full of other random clothes your mom use to wear...BUT thankfully enough...you make it look cute;)

Katie G. said...

Wow! Maya, that sure is a handsome man you were with last year in March! :o)

Can't wait to see you Saturday!